Monday, June 10, 2013

Garden Party!

Our weather has been crazy--freezing cold, then horribly humid, a drought, then an incredible deluge.  So it was a wonderful surprise to have an absolutely picture-perfect beautiful day for our garden party yesterday.

I set the table with all the rose-covered china I had, and used pastels and pink as a color them.  The napkins tied with silvery pink ribbons were a hit with my nephew.  I think he was being facetious, but I forgave him.  After all, I let him and his dog, Abbott, come, even though it was a girls-only event.

 On the menu:  Sonoma chicken salad, fruit salad, croissants from the neighborhood French bakery, lemonade, and sour cream coffeecake.

Here are some late-spring garden scenes.
 
 
 These pink peonies were so heavy only the old recycle bin could hold them up.
 
 I find these white peonies positively luminescent.
 
 
 These purple iris were a big hit with my sister-in-law.

 
 
 
 
 

 
 As much as I love color everywhere, white in the garden is spectacular.
 
 
 
 
 
 These last few pictures make the back yard look like it's in the middle of a secluded woodland instead of a suburb.

While it's been a good year for blossoms, the rain pelted my iris, peonies, azaleas and roses.  In fact some iris and peonies lost their color due to all the rain.

No comments: