Sunday, December 28, 2014

2014 In Review

Overall, it was a good year.  Family members were relatively healthy - no hospitalizations.  My very bright brother-in-law got a great job and left his long-time position.  My smart niece got a job in her field in September.  My other smart niece bought a cute log-cabin type of house in Massachusetts near the New Hampshire border.  My nephew just moved to a cute rental house and his sister, my niece who got the job, will move into his condominium.  My sister and I are very much looking forward to her move because she'll be closeby.  My brother got a big raise.  Not too bad for one of the worst states in the union.  My nephew got a job as well, in New Hampshire.  I pray it's a good match for him.

On the homefront, I'm getting a new porch floor and framing.  In anticipation of that, I painted the trim and ceiling and bought a new light and house numbers.  We went back to Kennebunk and to Marblehead.  We discovered how beautiful York, Maine is.  We rented a house in June on Cape Cod in Hyannis.

We had one of the coldest winters ever, and things didn't really warm up until Labor Day.  It was great not to have that awful heat and humidity.   The fall was beautiful as well.  Even December seems warmer than usual.  It was an okay gardening year.  The hydrangeas took a hit from the cold, and many didn't bloom.  The roses likewise died way back.  Some things were very late, like butterfly bushes.

I extended the shade garden on the north side of the house.  Purple Majesty, Snow Queen and Blue Billow hydrangeas went in, as well as two hostas.  I also planted Nikko Blue and Blue Bird hydrangeas nearby.  In the shrub border I added Endless Summer, Preziosa and Tardiva hdyrangeas.  There'll be a huge hydrangea explosion next summer, hopefully.  I planted Harlow Carr and Midnight Blue roses in the back garden.  Hopefully the deer and woodchucks will leave them alone next year when they hear all the new dogs in the neighborhood.
 



 
Things are good, and I am grateful.  Hope things went well for you and pray that your new year is bright, shiny and filled with all good things!

 James 1:17 New International Version (NIV)
17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

December 31, 2013

No comments: