Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Roses, roses, roses!

The roses in front look pretty good, but the ones in back, not so much.  I think I didn't prune them enough.  We had an extremely mild winter, so there wasn't much dieback.  Lesson learned:  prune hard for strong, lush branches.

Here's the front garden.  Those are Bonica, Graham Thomas and Lady Elsie May roses.  There are also a couple foxgloves in there as well.  I've been trying to improve my photography with tips I found on a delightful blog called An Urban Cottage.  The yellow roses were looking washed out in my pictures so I slowed the shutter speed (at least that's what I think I was doing).
 
 
 
 This is a bad shot of a lovely rose called Lovely Fairy.

  And this is Red Fairy.
 
 

 Jackmanii clematis.  Seems smaller than last year.


 A pretty oriental lily.
 Rose campion.  I'm thrilled to see this again.  It seemed to have disappeared last year but then popped up about a foot away from where I planted it originally.  It's such a pretty plant, with its hot pink, or magenta, flower and feathery gray foliage.

 

No comments: