Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Roadtrip - Kennebunk and Rockport

Last month we took an overnight trip to Maine.  I had been wanting to schedule this trip since I read about visits by the bloggers at An Urban Cottage and For the Love of a House.  We stayed at the Elizabeth Rose House bed and breakfast, which was lovely and very conveniently located right off of the highway.  On our way up we stopped at Rockport, Massachusetts.  My parents used to travel all over New England and often would take my three brothers, sister and me along, but I don't remember having seen this gorgeous town before.


Famous views of the pier.




We also passed through Gloucester and that's on the list to visit again, as it's another beautiful seaside town.  We then continued on, through an absolute deluge, up Route 1.  The next day we went to the Bush compound, with gorgeous scenery along the way.


The Texas flag was flying, as well as the flags of Maine and the United States, and that means George H. W. is in the house.

My favorite spot, however, was Old House Parts.  I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.  Tons of old doors, windows, shutters, fixtures, etc. were there to be had.  I bought a doorknob to match the missing one on one of my two front doors.  The young man was so knowledgeable and knew the age of everything.  For example, he pointed out that my front doors are in the Craftsman style, not Victorian, and that the original interior doorknobs were probably porcelain, not glass.  I could have spent hours there and wish I lived closer so I could incorporate more antique elements into my house, like light fixtures.


We then traveled to Kittery and Freeport (home of L.L. Bean), with the surrounding mecca of outlet shops.  I'm not a shopper so I'll spare you any pictures. All in all, a great time was had by all! I want to go up more often because it's really not that far away.

2 comments:

An Urban Cottage said...

I'm glad you had a nice time! Gloucester is very cool but I'm not sure that everyone would love it. I love the grittiness of the fishing wharves, the rusty boats, the worn wood and bright paint colors. Lots of good art too.

Yes, Old House Parts is very cool. The room with the doors just can't be captured by camera. Did you see their cat with the stripes that read "Joy"?

Durf said...

No, Steve, I didn't see any cat! I did see some gorgeous doors I'd like to use, though. Unbelievable place.