Monday, May 18, 2015

Roosting

I was cleaning out the front side garden one day when I discovered a bird's nest in the middle of the obelisk, which is covered with Sweet Autumn clematis.  The next day I saw three eggs.  A few days later there was Mama Cardinal on top of them.  Look for the orange beak below.

See her red tail feathers in the middle?
I don't want to disturb her but she's throwing off my clean-up schedule.  I should have already fertilized the roses.  Oh well.  It beats the baby raccoons, skunks and woodchucks of last year.

At least the back yard looks kind of okay.  I spent about four hours fertilizing seven roses, nine hydrangeas, and a clematis, rhododendron, azalea and daylily.  Also watered, cleaned up, pruned and weeded.  I could barely walk afterwards!

No comments: