Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Happy Fourth of July!

We really celebrate in a big way here in our little "village."  There's a parade, fireworks, food and music.  I live close to the center, and here on the hilltop I can hear the festivities.  I can also see the fireworks pretty well from my living room.  I tried so hard to capture it on camera but out of 64 pictures, only a few are worthy of publication.  In the background is a street light, my neighbor's porch and American flag, my wisteria, and tree branches.  By the way, did you know flags need to be illuminated if displayed at night?

 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 





















There's a lot of noise, pedestrians and cars on our little street on this night.  Normally only a few people brave the hill, and only very few cars, so the cats are nervous.

One of my favorite hymns, which I sang with my high school chorus, is the Civil War song, Battle Hymn of the Republic.  I didn't understand the religious imagery ("He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored") until I read it in the Bible in Isaiah and Revelation (far be it from school to teach such things).

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea, 
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me: 
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free, 
While God is marching on.

Many people have died in the cause of freedom, but one Person died to make us all free.

No comments: